When someone speaks about Thai chess, the first thing that comes to your mind is the Bangkok Open. The tournament visited by players like Nigel Short, Jan Gustaffson and many other world class players has become an annual destination for chess fans all over the world. But for the growth of chess in Thailand, just one event is not enough. That’s the reason why former Thai national player Sajjapornthep Gcat Jarunpol and his wife Phuttarak Khampliw decided to organize the Pattaya Open from 20th to 31st of October 2018. What started as just plan for one tournament turned into an entire festival with youth and senior tournaments as well as an amateur section. In the first part of this report by Peter Long brings you the youth events and also an interview with the organizer.
- This is an individual tournament, open to all players with FIDE ID number. If you do not have Fide ID number, please contact your country’s Rating Officer.
- FIDE (World Chess Federation) rules and regulations shall apply. Results will be sent for FIDE rating calculations.
- Three groups will be played using the Swiss System, with 9 rounds. For the pairings, a Swiss Manager program will be used.
- The matches shall be conducted according to the schedule, which will be made known to the respective players before the start of the tournament.
- Each player is accorded with a time control of 90 minutes for the rest of the game. In addition there is 30 seconds increment per move, starting from the move 1.
- Five minutes before the games start, the Chief Arbiter shall make the announcement accordingly. If any player is not present within an hour after the game is started, he shall lose by default.
- Players are not allowed to bring mobile phones or other electronic devices to the tournament hall, any violation shall result in loss of game. Organizer will provide deposit point outside playing hall, where player can leave their mobile devices at their own risk.
- Officials and players should be smartly attired at all times while in the playing hall.
- The Organizer reserves the right to make changes to these Regulations by notifying the players at the technical meeting tournament starts. All player must attend the technical meeting.
- Entitled player must not have reached his/her birthday, respectively, before January 1st , 2018
- May be will have a Senior Group if has the player After 55 olds 10 player up
Tournament Program – Youth
|Thailand Pattaya – Youth||Start Time||Activity|
|Saturday, 20 October||9:00
Player list shown at the hall entrance
|Sunday, 21 October||9:30–13:30
|Monday, 22 October||9:30–13:30
|Tuesday, 23 October||9:30–13:30
|Wednesday, 24 October||9:00–13:00
|Round 9 (final round)
- Open Under 8: 1st prize 3,000 Baht, 2nd prize 2,000 Baht, 3rd prize 1,000 Baht with additional prizes for 4-5 medals and Trophy for Best Girls 1-3, medals for Best Girls 4-5.
- Open Under 12: 1st prize 5,000 Baht, 2nd prize 3,500 Baht, 3rd prize 2,000 Baht with additional prizes for 4-5 medals and Trophy for Best Girls 1-3, medals for Best Girls 4-5.
Trophy for Best Open Under 10 1-3, medals for Best Open Under10 for 4-5.
Trophy for Best Girls Under 10 1-3, medals for Best Girls Under10 for 4-5.
- Open Under 16: 1st prize 7,000 Baht, 2nd prize 5,000 Baht, 3rd prize 3,000 Baht with additional prizes for 4-5 medals, Trophy for Best Girls 1-3, medals for Best Girls 4-5.
Trophy for Best Open Under14 1- 3, medals for Best Open Under14 for 4-5.
Trophy for Best Girls Under14 1-3, medals for Best Girls Under14 for 4-5.
- Senior Group : 1st Prize 7,000 Baht, 2nd prize 5,000 Baht, 3rd prize 3,000Baht with additional prizes for 4-5 medals, Trophy for Best Lady Senior.
(Will have a Senior Group if has the player After 55 olds 10 player up)
Please note: under Thai law, 5% tax must be deducted from prize money. All prizes are in Thai Baht.
- Chief Arbiter: (Thailand)
- In the event of dispute, player may submit an appeal to the Chief Arbiter by depositing a sum of Baht 3,000.00 (100.00USD) to the Chief Arbiter, who will in turn pass it to the Appeals Committee a decision. Appeals Committee’s decision is final Deposit shall be returned if the appeal is successful. An appeal must be submitted to the Chief Arbiter within 30 minutes after the game is finished. Appeal Committee will be appointed at the Technical Meeting.
The tournament will be held in the Bay Beach Resort Jomtien Beach
- Address:Pattaya, Banglamung, Cholburi, Thailand
- Telephone: +66 (0)32 232 464
- Website: baybeachresortpattaya.com
Accommodation Players are not required to stay at the Official Hotel, Bay Beach Resort Jomtien Beach. But special rates are offered chess player, an follows :
- Room, including breakfast (single/twin)
Deluxe Room : 2,500 Baht nett / room / night
Family Room : 3,200 Baht nett / room / night
- Youth : 2,000 Baht. Early Bird registration before September 30, 2018
(late registration is 2,500 Baht)
- Senior : 3,500 Baht.Early Bird registration before September 30, 2018
(Late registration is 4,000 Baht)
- Please complete the registration form. The organizer will confirm your registration by e-mail (if you do not get a reply within a week, please send a reminder). Deadline for early bird registration is September 30, 2018. After this date the normal registration charge will apply, and registrations may be declined.
- Please contact the organizer for inquiries: +66(0)6 234 123 21 +66(0)88 522 7228,
email: email@example.com or www.101chessacademy.com
- Tournament results and pairings will be updated daily at chess-results.com
- Approximate exchange rate: US $1 = 32 Baht; €1 = 37 Baht; £1 = 40 Baht (Correct at time of publishing. Rates may vary.)
- Organizer will transportation transfer from airport to the official hotel at the cost of USD 20.00 per person per trip. However, player should notify the Organizer well in advance should they wish to use this service. There is a tour bus service from Suvarnabhume Airport to Pattaya daily. From the bus terminal, players can hire a cab to the Bay Beach Resort Hotel.